Wednesday, September 2, 2009

at 10:03 AM Labels: , , Posted by Brent

Three classes yesterday at Satoura. They all went very well. The 5th graders were full of questions, albeit in Japanese. Surprisingly, I understood most of their questions well enough to answer them.

I ate lunch with that 5th grade class. One of the kids was talking to me, describing different kinds of Japanese food and how much they cost. I couldn`t figure out why he was talking about that until the teacher leaned over and whispered `That boy`s family has a restaurant. He wants you to eat there.` Heh. Adorable.

My favorite class of the day was the sixth-graders. They were very friendly and eager, and their teacher Maeda-sensei was awesome. During my self-introduction I showed a picture of Star Wars and said `I like Star Wars very much. Do you like Star Wars?` and behind me, Maeda-sensei began loudly humming The Imperial March. Wicked cool.

Today I`m at Seto Elementary, a small school. Only 33 students total. This morning I joined the students for morning calisthenics and a tug-of-war. I have one class at 10:30 and the rest of the day free. If I`m reading the lesson plan correctly, I need to condense my 30-minute self intro down into 10 minutes or so. I guess I`ll leave out the part where I recreate the beginning of `Raiders of the Lost Ark.`

I just noticed that one of the other teachers in the room is wearing a Budweiser polo.

0 comments: