Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Monday, August 31 saw me rising bright and early to get to Daini JHS for my first day at a school. I arrived around 8, said good morning, and laid claim to my too-small desk. I met my JTEs, including an ex-eikawa teacher who sits next to me. Her English is quite good- I helped her get through a Time article on Ted Kennedy`s death.
At 8:15 we had a teacher`s meeting, which I understood perhaps 5% of. I introduced myself to the staff in Japanese. At 9:30 there was a school-wide meeting in the gymnasium, and I got to introduce myself to the students. I started by saying in Japanese `Should I speak in English or Japanese? Well, since I don`t understand Japanese at all, I`ll speak in English. Let`s speak English together!` That seemed to go over well, and then I switched to English to introduce myself.
There were no actual classes that day, I spent the day alternating between sitting in the teacher`s room and visiting classrooms/wandering the halls. I left early to visit the bank and post office, since Monday was payday. I sent a lot of cash back to the States for student loans and car payments and such.
Today I`m at Satoura Elementary. I have three classes, all of which will consist of my self-introduction and various games. I`m kind of nervous.
0 comments:
Post a Comment