Friday, August 14, 2009

at 4:52 PM Labels: , Posted by Lissette

Things are going fine in Japan so far. I've been here for a week, and Brent for three, and things are awesome! Except for the fact that we don't have internet at our apartment yet. We're getting it wired (is that the right word?) for fiber-optic, so we have to wait a few weeks for them to get us set up. But when we do get it, the internet will be SUPER FAST.

I have been taking tons of photos, but since I don't have internet at home (and have been unable to find a wi-fi hotspot, oddly enough) no pictures can be uploaded yet. I have taken pictures of everything from the plane I came to Japan on, a close up of my tatami-mat floor, and the huge festival that has been ongoing since I got here.

I haven't been doing much, other than watching Japanese television and working on my language skills. I haven't gotten my foreign registration card yet, and once I get that I need to apply for work permit before I can start looking for a job. Oh, and I've been cleaning. Our apartment had been empty (empty of people--the ants love it) for half a year before we moved in, so it was in desperate need of a clean. Some things don't change though--I can still watch Mariners games! At 11 in the morning, but it's still a nice bit of home in a very foreign country.

I bought a bike, and rode for the first time in, oh, 15 years or more. It's true that you don't forget, but you sure aren't graceful at first! It's nice having on though, since the nearest grocery store is half an hour on foot, but much less than that by bike.

Weather wise, it's been muggy! Muggy muggy muggy! Muggly like I have only felt on Virginia in the summer. Probably muggier than that. You don't feel self-conscious about the sweat though. Everyone walks around with a fan and a sweat towel. The bugs are killer though. Ants are everywhere in our apartment. I'm trying to combat them, but it's difficult. Cicadas are HUGE.

Anyway, public terminal, need to get off soon. Longer post (with pictures!) when I have the internet!

0 comments: